If you’re self-conscious about the colour of your teeth, there are plenty of professional, home-based and natural solutions available. However, the best cure is always prevention, so it’s best to stop bad habits before they do serious damage to your smile!
Holford Partners Curaden is a London-based dental practice, with strong attention to detail and a focus on customer care. As the practice has been awarded “Best Dental Practice in the UK”, it’s safe to say they know a thing or two about oral health! Today, they’re sharing 5 bad habits that can lead to yellow teeth.
- Diet – some of the most common causes of tooth discolouration come from drinking beverages like coffee, fizzy drinks, and wine. These substances get into the enamel of your teeth and can cause long-term yellowing.
- Smoking – smoking can cause gum disease, tooth loss, and even oral cancer, not to mention yellow/brown teeth! Stains, which are caused by the nicotine and tar in the tobacco, can be particularly stubborn. Stub it out!
- Illness – certain medicines can cause yellow teeth. For example, patients who are undergoing chemotherapy for head or neck cancers may develop yellow or stained teeth. Certain types of prescription medications can also cause teeth to become yellow – so make sure to keep up your oral hygiene even if you’re ill!
- Poor Oral Hygiene – poor oral hygiene inevitably leads to yellow teeth, but even the most diligent brushers and flossers can develop the discolouration teeth that occurs with age. Most people suffer from tartar – a build-up of plaque in hard-to-reach areas of the mouth. Thankfully, the tartar can be removed by a dental hygienist.
- Fluoride – for children under 8, who have teeth that are still developing, excessive fluoride exposure can cause yellow teeth. This isn’t an issue for adults because they can have between 3-4mg of fluoride a day, but infants and young children can only have between 0.5 and 1mg per day.
MORE ON HOLFORD PARTNERS CURADEN
Holford Partners Curaden is the longest established dental practice in London, and one of the most celebrated.
Founded in the 1860’s and continued by three generations of Holfords, their reputation for high standards and personal attention to detail has earned them recognition as the Best Dental Practice in the UK by The Parliamentary Review 2019 – an award signed off by the Prime Minister herself.
Holford Partners Curaden’s full range of innovative dentistry and dental care services include: Preventative Care, Dental Hygiene, General Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Periodontics, Endodontics, Dental Prosthetics and Orthodontics – a full service dental spot that caters to everyone’s needs.