Dental concerns aren’t all about toothache. Your teeth and overall oral health can affect your physical wellbeing.
When problems occur, they can affect everything from your mood to your sleep.
There are some common concerns we hear day in and day out.
Here we share 5 common concerns dental professionals hear the most.
- Teeth grinding – you may not notice you’re doing this at all in your sleep (sometimes a partner will be the first to tell you!) but the effects of teeth grinding can be dramatic. Your teeth may become cracked and worn down and you may experience severe jaw pain and headaches.
- Stained teeth – over time teeth can become discoloured from coffee, nicotine and red wine. It’s natural to see a gradual yellowing of teeth, even if you do keep on top of your brushing! Most stains can be removed leading to a whiter, brighter smile with specialist treatment from our dental practice.
- Sensitive teeth – sensitive teeth can be painful and cause problems when eating and drinking hot or cold food/liquids. Some over the counter medication can help but a thorough check-up is the first step you should take. Some of the most common causes of sensitive teeth include worn down enamel, cavities, or cracks – all require a dental professional’s help.
- Bad breath – there are several possible causes for bad breath, more formally known as halitosis. It can be caused by gum disease, bacteria or even a dry mouth. Mouthwash and drinking plenty of water is a good start but finding the underlying cause may require the help of our dental team.
- Gum disease – left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth decay and even tooth loss. It can initially present as gingivitis and is often triggered by smoking, a dry mouth or diabetes. Talk to us as soon as you experience any unusual symptoms.