Tooth enamel is the strongest substance in your body, but that’s not to say it’s invincible! When enamel erodes, your teeth are more likely to develop cavities and decay.
Plus, your teeth will be more sensitive, and you’ll be more vulnerable to infections – so it’s worth protecting.
Here, we share 5 ways to protect your tooth enamel.
- Cut down on acidic foods and drinks – citrus drinks and sodas can have a strong erosive effect on your teeth. When you do eat or drink something with acid, have it at mealtimes to make it easier on your enamel.
- Use a straw – use a straw when drinking sugary or citrussy drinks so the liquid will bypass your teeth. Don’t swish these liquids around your mouth, either!
- Finish a meal with milk or cheese – finishing a meal with a small piece of cheese or a glass of milk will go towards cancelling out some of the acids you’ve just consumed.
- Chew sugar-free gum – chewing sugar-free gum lowers the It also helps you to produce more saliva, which strengthens your teeth with key minerals. of acid in your mouth.
- Use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash – these products will help to re-enforce your enamel. Be sure to ask your dentist about the best products for your teeth.